思步网

返回列表 发新帖
楼主: 一啸长天
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[译文] [连载]SEPG行为指南(这事我做,会有什么不同呢)

[复制链接]
H. Computational & mathematical organization theory

There is an emerging field of great interest to our engineering side: computational and mathematical organi¬zation theory (CMOT). It actually started in the mid-1960s in, of all places, Carnegie Mellon University, with (Cyert & March, A Behavioral Theory of the Firm, 1963). The field is composed of people who span the boundaries of organization study (sociology or management science), mathematics, and engineering. There is a journal from Kluwer Academic (see http://www.wkap.nl/prod/j/1381-298X), an on-line journal, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simu¬lation (http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/JASSS.html), and several foundation books: (Carley & Prietula, Computational Organization Theory, 1994), (Burton & Obel, Design Models for Hierarchical Organizations: Computation, Information, and Decentralization, 1995), (Conte, Hegselmann, & Terno, Simulating Social Phenomena, 1997), (Prietula, Carley, & Gasser, Simulating Organiza¬tions: Computational Models Institutions and Groups, 1998), and (Ilgen & Hulin, Computational Modeling of Behavior in Organizations: the Third Scientific Discipline, 2000).

H. 计算与数学组织理论

对我们工程方面有一个非常有趣的新兴领域:计算与数学组织理论(CMOT)它确切地说是起源于1960年中叶,在所有的地方,卡内基梅隆大学,()。这个领域集结了跨越了组织研究(社会学或管理学)、数学和工程学的边界的人们。有一个来自Kluwer Academic 的杂志(见http://www.wkap.nl/prod/j/1381-298X) ,是一个在线杂志,人工社会和社会模拟的杂志()和一些基础书:(),(),(),()还有()。

I. Reading list

Here is a list of articles and books that, were I starting over again to learn about social sys¬tems, I would read in this order:
1. (Daft & Weick, Toward a Model of Organizations As Interpretation Systems, 1984) – Why human sys¬tems are not like billiard balls. Best to get this out of the way early.
2. (Katz & Kahn, The Social Psychology of Organizations, 1978) – Responsible for converting many hard scientists into social scientists. Leading early authority on the systems view of collectives.
3. (Kaplan, The Conduct of Inquiry; Methodology for Behavioral Science, 1964) – Written by an ex-physi¬cist who became a social scientist. Very searching and scholarly work that has influenced me greatly.
4. (Smith & Berg, Paradoxes of Group Life: Understanding Conflict, Paralysis, and Movement in Group Dynamics, 1987) – The best book on teams. It includes what you need to know about Bion, too. All the other books on groups look sophomoric by comparison.
5. (Weick, The Social Psychology of Organizing, 1979) – This is a small book. Beware of small books because they contain dense material. In this one, many of the sentences are or will become PhD dis¬sertations. For this reason Weick is called generative. I try to read everything Weick writes.
6. (Bluth, Parsons' General Theory of Action: a Summary of the Basic Theory, 1982) – A quick, accu¬rate introduction to Parsons.
7. (Berger & Luckmann, The Social Construction of Reality: a Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge, 1966) – You will have to read this sooner or later. It’s about what you can know for sure regarding social systems. Kaplan prepares you for this.

I.读书列表
       这里有一些文章和书著,我开始温习关于社会系统,我会以下面的顺序来阅读:
       1.()——为什么人类系统都不像台球。最好一开始就拿到此书。
       2.()——用于将硬科学家转换为社会科学家。
       3.()——由一个实验物理学家所编写,他业以成为了一名社会科学家。很强的探索和学术性的工作对我影响很大。
       4.()——在团队里只有用的一本书。也包括你需要知道关于Bion的一些东西。所有其它的用于团队的书相比较都太幼稚而自大的
       5.()—— 这是一本小册子。注意小册子一般都是浓缩的精华。在这一本里,很多言语正是或即将成为哲学博士论文。
                基于这个原因,Weick被称之为生力军。我     试着阅读他写的每一样东西。
       6.()——  一个迅速、精准的介绍
       7.()——  或早或晚你必须读一读此书。这是关于你应该知道对于社会系统应该了解的一些东西。Kaplan为你准备了这些。
If all of this sounds vaguely familiar, it is! (Boehm & Ross, Theory-W Software Project Management: Princi¬ples and Examples, July 1989) have translated Getting to Yes into application in software develop¬ment, and Barry Boehm has continued that elaboration through his work with Win-Win Negotiations (see http://sunset.usc.edu/research/WINWIN/)
因为这些大部分都是短小的书,所以注意咯,因为它们都是浓缩的精华噢!想要了解相关课程及更多信息,见 http://www.pon.harvard.edu/
如果所有这些听起都比较熟悉,那就成啦!()己将Getting to Yes 转化为软件开发的应用了。Barry Boehm 也接着在他的著作 双赢协商(Win-Win Negotiations)见:
http://sunset.usc.edu/research/WINWIN/

B. How to break bad news    B.如何打破坏消息

Related to winning and losing (though, again, we are seeking all winners!) is how to tell someone that they have lost in some regard. As an engineer I have no intuition on how to do this, so I seek step-by-step meth¬ods. The best one I have found is in (Buckman, How to Break Bad News: a Guide for Health Care Profession¬als, 1992), the author of which is an oncologist who must surely have the most difficult job of all. He has tuned and developed an algorithm that is a compassionate alternative to intuition.

关系到赢与输(不过,再次,我们正在寻求所有的赢家!)是告诉某些人他们在某些方面己经输了。做为一名工程师我没有如何去做这方面事的直觉,因此我寻求按部就班的方法。我找到的最好的一个就是(),其作者是一名肿瘤学家(这肯定是所有学科里最难的工作)。他己经调整和开发出一种算法,这算得上是对于取代直觉比较有同情心的做法咯!

XI.        What we know & what we don’t  XI我们所知道的 和 我们未知的

The intent of this section is to outline something like (Asbell, What They Know About You, 1991), an encyclo¬pedic treatment of what is known about the human psyche, except about the kinds of groups we deal with as we implement SPI. It would be difficult to claim such a comprehensive treatment as Asbell’s, so con¬sider it a beginning. And it needs to contain, but does not yet, all we know about implementation. I have only listed a very few of the major findings that are infrequently referenced in SEPG conference materials.

这一部分的意图是概括某些类似()的东东,一种己知的关于人类的百科全书似的治疗,除了我们实施SPI的团队。很难要求一个像Asbell一样的全面性的治疗,因此把它假想为一个开始。并且它需要包含一些还未有的东西,所有关于实施的我们知道的。我己经列举了需要寻找的东西里的极少的一部分,这些都在SEPG会议材料上被经常引述。

A. What is known     A 什么是知道的

1. Mutual adaptation – Implementing any technology is a process of mutual adaptation: the technology is tailored to the organization and the organization is tailored to the technology. The specific steps are messy. (Leonard-Barton, Implementation As Mutual Adaptation of Technology and Organization, Octo¬ber 1988) (This is from the SEPG Guide)
2. Waves of change – this is an original contribution by (Caputo, CMM Implementation Guide: Choreo¬graphing Software Process Improvement, 1998), Chapter 4, “Improvement cycles: dancing with the rhythms.” Kim Caputo synthesizes some disparate findings about pattern of adoption (à la Crossing the Chasm) and institutionalization (used in the adoption sense, not in the sociological sense), and then added her own SPI implementation experience to create a novel explanation of what we experi¬ence as the up’s and down’s of implementation.

3. Is my organization like yours? – And therefore, can I profitably borrow what you did? This is a solved problem, as contingency theory answers the question of what factors make two organizations alike and to what degree those factors have to agree in value. There is a sense in which this question is not asked enough; if one’s organization is unlike another, the borrowing of practices must be very selective. Little about implementation is generalizable.
   1. 相互适应——实施任何一种技术都是一种相互适应的过程:要让技术来适应于组织,同样,组织也应该适应于技术。详细的步骤是都是比较凌乱的。()(这个来自于SEPG指南)
   2. 变革的起伏——这是()的一个原始的贡献,在其第4章,“改善周期:跟着旋律飞舞吧”Kim Caputo 综合了一些关于采纳模式的各种各样的调查结果(零点跨越鸿沟)及制度化(以采纳角度来用,而非社会学的),然后添加她自己的SPIrit实施经验来建立一种全新的关于我们在实施过程中的兴衰跌起诠释。
   3.  我的组织与你的相像吗?——因此,我能受益地借鉴你所做的吗?这是一个己有解的问题,因为权变理论回答了哪些因素使得两个组织看起来相像及这些元素能达成一致的程度有多深。有一种说明是这个问题问得不够具体;如果一个组织不像另外一个,借鉴实践应当相当谨慎。一点关于实施的概括。

B. What is not known

1. Re-framing – There is no step-by-step method that I know. It still relies on practice and intuition.
2. Implementation success and contingency factors – We need empirical results on the relationship between implementation success and contin¬gent factors – that is, what spells success: “It depends!” Depends on what? We still have almost nothing quantitative on how long implementation takes and how many/much resources it consumes. The only study I know is (Lopata, The Cooperative Implemen¬tation of Information Technology: a Process of Mutual Adaptation, June 1993), which is diffi¬cult to obtain.

B.什么是未知的

1. 重构——不存在我所知道的按部就班的方法。我仍然依赖于实践和直觉。
2. 实施成功及突发性因素——我们需要经验的证实,它基于实施成功及突发性因素之间的关系——那就是说,什么左右着成功:“具体情况!”取决于什么?我们仍然几乎不能度量实施周期会有多长及它会消耗多少资源。我所知道的唯一的研究是(),它所论述的东西很难把握。

XII. In conclusion

We need to keep our eyes open, question authority (even or especially mine), keep asking “Why?”  When I listen to speakers at SEPG conferences I ask myself “Why is that so? Why do we have to sell SPI so hard? What’s wrong with SPI that it takes so much effort to sell?”
A lot is already known about implementation, so we need to read and classify our knowledge. We all need to relearn the lessons of the applicable aspects of sociology so that we don’t have to learn it by failure in the field.
And last, remember that even “old stuff” may be helpful: there are very few new problems under the sun!

XII.总结

我们需要时刻保持警觉,向权威提出质疑(甚至或者尤其是我的),始终应追问“为什么呢?”当我们在SEPG会议上听演讲时,我关我自己“为什么是这样的?为什么我们销售SPI如此之艰难?是哪里出问题了,SPI需要如此之多的努力来销售?

很多关于实施的问题为人们所熟知,因此我们需要阅读并对我们的知识加以分类。我们都需要重温社会学应用方面的课程,以至于我们在这一领域不再以失败为训。
最后,记住一点,“很普通的东西”也许是有所帮助的:在阳光之下很少会出现新的问题!
X. Understanding negotiations  X。了解商谈

“In every change – indeed, in every system – there are winners and losers.” – Tom DeMarco

“在每次变革里——诚然,在每一个系统里——都存有胜者与败者。”——Tom Demarco

As I hope you can tell by now, I am a fan of methods that are step-by-step and do not rely on intuition. In other words, practitioner-independent repeatable processes. Such methods exist for many human-centered endeavors and more are being added every day.

我希望你现在能知道,我是一个各种脚踏实地而非靠什么直觉的方法的粉丝。换句话说,一个可独立执行、可复用的过程。这类方法是因为了很多以人为本的努力而存在的,并且每天还很增加很多。

There are many skills we engineers need to develop in order to help our clients implement the improvements they strive for. I think one of the highest priority ones is reframing, taking a problem statement in one point of view and expressing it in another, that of the listener. In other words, the skill is to listen with one set of fil¬ters, mentally translate into another, and then re-state the same problem with a different set of filters. While it cannot be taught, it can be learned.

还有很多技巧有待我们的工程师们来开发以帮助我们的客户实现他们所为之努力的改进。我认为最高优先事项之一应该是重构,在一种视图里带着一种观点并且将其转化为另外一种,即监听器。换句话说,这种技能是还有过滤器装置的监听,精神上从一种转化为另一种,然后同样的问题带着不同的过滤器来重置那些状态。

Our challenge is to frame the situation so that there are only winners. This is problem-solv¬ing in its highest form, and since most of us were attracted to engineering and computing because we are born problem-solvers, this should fit with our personalities. And it’s a solved problem!

我们的挑战是构建某种情形使之只存在赢家。这是它的最高形式问题解决方法,自从我们中大部分被工程和计算所吸引。因为我们的存在就是为了解决问题,这应该符合我们的个性。并且它是一个己解决的问题!

A. Harvard Program on Negotiation & Theory-W  A.基于商谈和W理论的哈佛项目

The Harvard Project on Negotiation, a multi-university consortium, mostly of law schools, has developed a step-by-step method of listening for what each side to a dispute wants, trying to establish a measure of fair value to any prospective solution, and then problem solving to try to create a solution that makes all parties winners. The method is called “principled negotiation.” These step-by-step methods are colorfully detailed in:

基于协商的哈佛项目,一个多所大学协会,基本上是些法律学院,己开发了一种针对每一方争论想的东西进行按步就班的方法监听,尝试着针对任何一种有可能成功的解决方案建立一种公平价值测量手段,然后问题解决来试着建立一种能让各方都受益的解决方案。这个方法称为“原则性协商”。这些按步就班的方法极其详细的在以下书中被述说:

(Fisher, Ury, & Patton, Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving in, 1991)
(Ury, Getting Past No: Negotiating Your Way From Confrontation to Cooperation, 1993)
(Fisher & Brown, Getting Together: Building Relationships As We Negotiate, 1988)
(Stone, Patton, & Heen, Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most, 1999)

For the most part these are short books, so beware because they are dense. For courses and more information, see http://www.pon.harvard.edu/
XIII.        Acknowledgments

I am grateful to Dave Card for his many insights, he is very far ahead of his time, and to John Tittle for the engagements to support the learning and application. I thank John Maher for introducing me to the subject of planning and managing technological change, and Byron Fiman for his colleagueship and his many insights, tips, and examples. I am grateful to Dave Schwandt (George Washington University) for being such a patient and able teacher; he is a recovering physicist. I am grateful to Barry Boehm for holding the bar high and showing by example that it is possible to stand in two professions at once. I thank Watts Humphrey for starting the whole thing and being an inspiration with his energy. I thank Rich Burton (Duke) and Ray Levitt (Stanford) for being patient when my exuberance exceeded my knowledge, and for their surgical clarity.

I thank the following reviewers: Craig Beyers, Dave Card, Kim Caputo, Suzanne Garcia, Dick Kauffold, Winifred Menezes, Mark Paulk, Jacqueline Rowe, and John Title.

And I thank Jan, my wife, for giving me the time to write and for proofreading so many drafts.
XIII 感谢
  我很感谢Dave Card的很多建设性的意见,他负付了很多时间;也很感谢John Tittle 承诺提供的学习和应用……
XIV.        References  (略)
自此,若有内容都已翻译并上传。谢谢收看,嘿嘿!
此外,也敬请期待我和思步翻译小组的新作。《SEPG Guide》,与上面我所翻译的相对应的一本书。

评分

参与人数 1金币 +18 收起 理由
思步 + 18 那是相当期待!

查看全部评分

今天终于连载完了,嘿嘿!{:8_307:}
哈哈!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

思步组织思步科技|思步网|火花学堂|思步文库|思步问答|思步英才|天下心
© 2007 思步网 浙ICP备10212573号-4(首次备案号:浙ICP备07035264号)|邮箱:service#step365.com(将#换成@)|服务热线:0571-28827450
在线培训课程|求职招聘|思步文库|官方微信|手机APP|思步问答|微博平台|官方QQ群|交流论坛|软件工程透析|关于我们|申请友链|
点击这里给我发消息     点击这里给我发消息
思步 step365 过程改进 CMMI中文 质量保证 质量管理 流程体系 需求跟踪矩阵 敏捷开发 Scrum 软件度量 项目评审 全员改进 流程管理 人力资源 6sigma 信息安全 ISO27001认证 IT服务管理 ISO20000认证 ISO9000认证 软件测试 SQA 配置管理 IPD 软件工程 PMP认证 PMP试题 PMBOK中文 精益研发 agile 顾问式管理培训
返回顶部